Ver Mensaje Individual
Antiguo 13-05-2007
Miembro Premium

gluglu Va por buen camino
Cita:
To Borland's Board of directors :

As a user of Borland's software development products, starting with Turbo Pascal since many years ago, and until Delphi Studio up to date, I note that your tools have been able to be executed only under Microsoft platforms.

However, times changes and more often there are companies and administrations changing their systems to Linux, not to mention the superservers, where UNIX is the great ruler (Solaris, HP-UX, AIX...).

I think that multiplatform is one of the causes for JAVA to be the most extended language presently, according to reputable surveys. If Linux is strongly expanding and many multiplatform languages, as well as the own Linux, are free (Java itselfs, .NET / MONO - Monodevelop, freepascal, Lazarous), what kind of future awaits Delphi ?

Why Borland or Codegear do not mention anything in their Website about their politics related to UNIX ? As a user I would like to learn more about this matter.

Why is Borland not able to follow similar strategies as, e.g., Oracle ? Oracle allows downloading of its database and around it you'll been able to find :
- payment tools
- product support (payable)
- buy the database if it is business intended
- courses with certifications (payable)
- Oracle administrators in customer's companies that hire this service
- stop giving support on old versions of the database, in benefit on newer versions and, therefore, start the wheel of certified courses again, adquisitions of new products, etc.

Would not Borland / Codegear be interested in creating a free of charge IDE for users, and to be of payment for companies as well as create chargeable tools, support, etc.? I believe that it would be profitable. For example, if "Borland Delphi 2008" supports Oracle 10g, once Oracle delivers 11g, Delphi would be upgraded or could deploy a new version that would support the new version of Oracle.

Sincerely,
He intentado no cambiar el sentido de la carta en ninguna de sus frases ni parrafos. Seguramente mejoraría redactando de nuevo algunos párrafos.

Sin ánimo de ofender a nadie, podrías haber publicado en este hilo una versión previa en inglés de la carta dirigida a los directivos de Borland.

Seguro que mi versión es ampliamente mejorable. Invito a todos aquellos que lo deseen a realizar las modificaciones oprtunas a su vez, por si prosperase la idea de mandar dicha carta en posteriores ocasiones y por parte de cada uno que desee enviarla.